Nov 10, 2009

Growing Up


Seth is growing up.

Obviously I know that this happens. I do not dread it nor mourn it. This may be made easier by the fact that there is a new little baby on the way, but truth be told it is more enjoyable than not.

One of my favorite things about having a large family is the fact that we all share and revel in the accomplishments of each other. In the case of the baby of the family growing up there is always someone to cheer that first step and exclaim over the new word. Everyone is absolutely certain that this is absolutely the best baby yet, the smartest, the funniest, the cutest. It is almost like being with other fans and getting to cheer on your favorite team to the win--day after day after victorious day.

I left for almost a week's time to go get new goats. I knew when I returned that Seth would likely be finally, irrevocably weaned. What I hadn't expected was that he would also have matured so much! He is speaking! When I left all he would consistently say was "puppy", "mama" and "un-uh". (no). He would also use the ASL sign for "please". Now he says "please", "thank you" and "Stop!". And he calls his siblings by name. And "goat", "horsey", "chicken", "dog" and "kitty". (Am I alone in finding a theme, here?)

He plays like a toddler, not a baby, on tricycles and he swings a bat with his brothers.

And he has started throwing temper tantrums.

Oh joy. But even that is good, a necessary part of growing up, and I am going to enjoy each and every moment--because although it looks like I will get to repeat this age at least once more with baby number 12, Seth will never be this age again.

No comments: