Aug 10, 2009

Cheese galore!

Thanks to having friends in high places (or at least friends with extra tickets), Tim and I were blessed with two tickets to the "Festival of Cheese" in Austin. This shindig was the culmination of the week long ACS convention and competition. We had at our fingertips over 1300 cheeses to sample, along with wines, beer, nuts, salami, preserves, crackers, breads and fruit to enjoy them with. Cheese that was fresh, cheese that was years old. Cheese from cow milk, sheep milk, buffalo milk and other species I likely missed.

Oh yes, goat milk as well. In fact by looking at what I sampled, you'd think it was ONLY goat milk represented! I wanted to try examples of all of the cheeses that Tim had come home from the advanced cheese workshop anxious to experiment on. I tried chevre, of course. I also tried mozzarella, cheddar, brie, camembert, blue, and more. Cheeses I wont even begin to try to pronounce, most of them being French in origin and as Henry Higgins proclaimed in "My Fair Lady", "The French don't care what they do, actually, as long as they pronounce it properly!"

My absolute favorite was one created by someone I know online, Tricia at Carlisle Farmstead Cheese. Her "Ada's Honor" was absolutely incredible. We left the room, heading for our car and then turned around and went back for one more taste! I want to try to do something similar, for my own consumption if nothing else. What's one more project? At least I am halfway there, already having goats!

No comments: